There have been a lot of studies and theories about the impact of social media on the world, business and our lives in general.
For me being a left brained, analytical cut to the chase kind of person. I have always been interested in how these trends can and do affect my business.
And to be honest with you the ones I am going share today with references mind you are very interesting to say the least.
But I think in order to be effective in social media we have to understand the demographics and the habits of that particular group.
So having shared what kind of fun loving, carefree kind of person I really am behind this computer screen. It’s time to share some interesting facts about social media and the people that haunt it.
Hope you enjoy:
1.Users of social networking sites are disproportionately female (56%). Women also comprise the majority of email users (52% women), users of instant message (55%), bloggers (54%), and those who use a photo sharing service (58%).Pew Research
2. However, nearly twice as many men (63%) as women (37%) use LinkedIn.Pew Research
3. As of this moment, the Google+ userbase is composed primarily of males, who make up 68.9% compared to females at 30.2%.FindPeopleonPlus.com
The reason I share these was because well if your product or business is more related to one gender or another you may want to concentrate on that particular platform for the most part. (Sorry for the interruption)
4. Some 52% of Facebook users and 33% of Twitter users engage with the platform daily, while only 7% of MySpace users and 6% of LinkedIn users do the same.Pew Research
6. A Facebook user who uses the site multiple times per day is 43% more likely than other Internet users and more than three times as likely as non-Internet users to feel that most people can be trusted.Pew Research
7. Facebook users spend more than a quarter of their time on the site consuming and interacting with Facebook Newsfeed, and are 40-150 times more likely to consume branded content in the Newsfeed than to visit the Fan Page itself.comScore (Hmmm can someone say “work on your edge rank??)
8. Hispanic consumers are more engaged with their favorite brands on Facebook. 19% of Hispanic survey respondents report being more likely to purchase products advertised on a social sharing/networking site, compared to 8% of non-Hispanics.Experian
9. 60% of brands that sent out an email with the word “Facebook” in the subject line averaged a 27% increase in traffic to their website the week following the email deployment.Experian
10. Social networks and blogs account for nearly a quarter of time spent on the Internet by Americans.Nielsen
11. A new study by Wilhelm Hofmann of the University of Chicago’s Booth Business School found that social media is more addictive than cigarettes and alcohol.Guardian
So there you go I hope that some of these factors will help you how to better understand where and how you should be marketing on social media good luck and let me know how you liked this in the comment section below.